Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Breakfast of Champions

giraffe in window mazmuse.com
I’m always on the hunt for nutritious foods that will prepare my family and me for our activity-filled days. It’s also important for the food to supply sustained energy and enhance (or at least not detract from) concentration levels.
My recent food infatuation is kasha, a.k.a. buckwheat. I already wrote about it here, as a surefire way to settle upset stomach. Kasha offers numerous health benefits such as weight loss, preventing high blood pressure, and being a great source of iron, protein, magnesium, phosphorous, and free radical preventing anti-oxidants.
Because it is so soothing and filling to the tummy, it makes a fantastic breakfast food for kids and adults that keeps them satisfied without the typical highs and lows of sugar cereals. In my humble opinion, it wins as the real breakfast of champions!
cardamom-kitchen.com
I just made a delicious version of it with cream of buckwheat this morning and thought I’d share it with you.
The cream of buckwheat package says use 1¼ cup milk/water/non-dairy alternative to ¼ cup cream of buckwheat but I prefer a thicker cereal and used ½ cup of cream of buckwheat.

What you need to do:
  • Bring 1¼ cup milk/water/non-dairy alternative (I used unsweetened almond milk) to a boil
  • Add ½ cup cream of buckwheat, bring to boil, then cook while stirring for about 10 minutes.
  • Add a pinch of natural sea salt (I used pink Himalayan salt)
Optional:
  • Add Cinnamon to taste. I used about a teaspoon, but I’m not gonna lie: I really just shook it over the top and kept adding until I enjoyed the flavor. :-)
  • Add one teaspoon organic vanilla extract
  • Add organic maple sugar or other low-glycemic sweetener to taste. (Also poured this over the top until reaching desired sweetness. Then mixed it in.)
  • Add 1-2 tsp. organic, raw coconut oil (this really makes it hunger-curbing hours after eating)
I’ve been looking for ways to add cinnamon to my diet and skin care because of its amazing health benefits. For more information, click this link for the 10 surprising health benefits of cinnamon.
This breakfast feels like comfort food to me. My youngest daughter is LOVING regular kasha for meals. Her tummy thanks her for it too!
Helpful Mama Tip: Are your mornings hectic and rushed? Make this cereal the day before. When it cools, refrigerate it directly in the pot. In the morning, take out the pot and prepared cereal. Reheat, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Warning: The enticing scent of cinnamon and maple will cause mouths to water. VOILA! A warm way to start the day!
Photo Credits
  1. Courtesy of mazmuse.com
  2. Courtesy of cardamom-kitchen.com
  3. Courtesy of gfggrocery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment